History of the square Senovážné náměstí goes back to the year 1348, when it was founded in a hamlet called Chudobice as the main square of Nové Město (New town) where hay and cereaůs were being sold. On the square, then a market, was also a hay scale, that’s how the name was created (in Czech, hay = seno, scale = váha; Seno - vážné). The name of the square was changed multiple times over the years. From 1896 it was called Havlíček square, Soukup square, Maxim Goethé square and its original name returned no sooner than in 1990.
The owner of the house and his 2 significant sons.
The house on Senovážné náměstí, 981 was purchased by Václav Špott, a storeman who worked on the Fruit market, for 17 000 gold. The then house, owned by Špott was called “U Zlaté Váhy” (“At the Golden Scale”). It had one floor, it was spacious, it had a large garden and there was free space around the house.
In the house, 2 sons were born to Václav Špott, Karel (1811) and Jan (1813). Both of them were doctors, who were interested in natural therapy and hydrotherapy. Jan was an associate professor at orthopaedics and hydrotherapy at the Charles university and a pioneer of hydrotherapy. Karel founded a somewhat water spa in Panská Týnice, where he worked as a district physician and he was also an expert at veterinary medicine.
In 1841, after having finished his study travels at medical institutes in Bohemia and abroad, Jan decided to put natural therapy into practise in Prague. There was the idea to make a hospital using these practises. He and his brother Karel helped to found the first hospital in Budeč.
Even though the hospital was doing well, the brothers decided to make their own medical institution. So in 1843, on the garden of their birth house on Senovážné náměstí, 981, the first ever orthopaedic institution is established.
Karel had the institution adjusted and worked there with Jan, The beginnings were rough, because due to being involved in the Budeš hospital and many loans, the 2 brothers were in debt and the financial problems didn’t leave them until the end of their lives.
The brothers did not cooperate for a long time. The main reason being, according to archive records, their existential problems, In some cases, they had different opinion on the treatment methods and they were both too principled and unbending. In 1845, Krel sold his half of the house to Jan for 12 000 gold, moved away and made his very own practise.
Jan worked until 1873 in an institution, which only remained for 30 years. iots closure was strongly affected by the surrounding gardens, because the new building cast a shadow over his institution and the patients were bothered by being watched bay the people form the surrounding buildings.
In 1868, the house was reconstructed from 1 floor to a three floor house, It stayed that way until today.
The natural-medical institution in Prague on Senovážné náměstí U zlaté váhy, no. 981-II
According to the statistics we have, in the years 1846-1869, 5767 people were treated, of which 3840 were cured, 1515 were discharged feeling better, 281 uncured, 101 day and 30 stayed in care.
In the 50s, Doctor Špott built an additional two- wing pavilion for his institution, as the prospect reproduction shows. To advertise this, Doctor Špott announced this in the Czech and the German press in 1846.
Thanks to the kind support of Mrs Marcela Kybalová, who seeked her family’s history (her family tree), we acquired an interesting part of the house’s history, where Hotel Zlatá Váha is situated today. We give thanks to Mrs Kybalová for this precious information.